REPUBLICAN LEGISLATORS ENDORSE DEEDS
RICHMOND– Eight former senators and delegates announced their support of Sen. Creigh Deeds’ campaign at a press conference Wednesday at the State Capitol.
The eight legislators – including Republican Sens. Russ Potts and John Chichester – announced the formation of Virginians for Deeds, a group Virginians who support Creigh Deeds efforts to carry on the tradition of keeping Virginia a low-tax state with a business friendly climate.
Two of the legislators – Republican Sen. Marty Williams and Sen. Brandon Bell – have never endorsed a statewide Democratic candidate before, and endorsed Bob McDonnell over Creigh Deeds in the 2005 Attorney General race.
“Working across party lines in the tradition of Mark Warner and Tim Kaine is how we solve problems and get things done in Virginia,” said Creigh Deeds. “With the unprecedented challenges we face today, I’m very happy to start this Virginians for Deeds effort with the backing of these independent-minded legislators.”
“Eighteen years ago, I came to Richmond as a freshman delegate with both Creigh Deeds and Bob McDonnell,”said State Sen. Brandon Bell (R. – Roanoke Co.). “I respect them both and both are fine men. But over that time I have had plenty of opportunity to work with both of them and witness their abilities, and I believe that Creigh simply will make better decisions on key issues facing the Commonwealth.”
“I am honored to have served with Creigh Deeds during my 32 years in the Virginia Assembly, including my time as Chairman of the Education Committee. Creigh is clearly the best choice for Governor based on his outstanding record of support for education and his forward-looking proposals for education to equip Virginians to meet the needs of the changing economy,” said Former Del. Jim Dillard (R – Fairfax). “Creigh has made it clear that he will bring people of both parties together to design a statewide transportation plan, and do it without raiding funds used primarily for education. His record on protecting Virginia’s environment and promoting our nationally recognized State Parks earned him recognition as a ‘Friend of State Parks.’ He is one of only three so honored in the 15 year existence of the association, Virginians For Parks.”
Members who endorsed Creigh Deeds today include:
- Sen. Brandon Bell (R. – Roanoke Co.) -Member of Senate: 1992-96; 2004-2008.
- Sen. John Chichester(R. – Stafford) - Member of Senate: 1978-2008. Elected President pro tempore of the Senate, 2000. Former Chair of Finance Committee.
- Sen. Russ Potts (R. – Winchester) -Member of Senate: 1992-2008. President, Russ Potts Productions, Inc.
- Sen. Marty Williams (R. – Newport News) -Member of Senate: 1996-2008. Former Chair of Transportation Committee.
- Sen. Warren E. Barry (R. – Fairfax) -Member of the House of Delegates: 1970-1983. Member of the Senate: 1992-2002.
- Del. Anne G. “Panny” Rhodes (R. – Richmond) –Member of the House of Delegates: 1992-2001.
- Del. Katherine Waddell (I. – Richmond) –Member of House of Delegates: 2006-2008. Founder, Virginia Republican Majority for Choice. Former aide to Lt. Gov. John Hager.
- Del.Jim Dillard (R. – Fairfax) – Member of House of Delegates: 1972-1977, 1980-2005. Former Chair of Education Committee.